Now that we're reaching the end of the year, FierceTelecom is once again counting down the story lines that shaped the telecom industry in 2013.
AT&T owns about 20 percent of the utility poles in Austin, Texas, and says it doesn't have to provide access to Google Fiber. The city council, which owns the remaining 80 percent, isn't pleased with that and has drafted an ordinance to make AT&T open up the poles.
Google Fiber's unusual placement of a utility cabinet that houses its fiber equipment--in the middle of a sidewalk--has incited the rage of Kansas City, Mo., residents, reports local FOX News network affiliate WDAF TV.
Google Fiber is drawing some complaints from residents in Kansas City, Mo., after installing utility cabinets on sidewalks to power its 1-Gig Internet and pay TV service.
Google Fiber launched a campaign aimed at boosting its subscriber count in the Kansas City area by the end of the year, announcing Wednesday that it will give new customers who order its 1-Gig Internet and pay TV service by Dec. 22 a free Nexus 7 tablet.
Google Fiber, according to a Twitter post, is installing its fiber-based Internet and video service in Provo, Utah.
Roku owners who also subscribe to certain pay-TV providers will be able to access Disney's suite of WATCH apps through the streaming video device.
Google Fiber said Wednesday that it launched new apps for Apple's iPhone and iPod Touch that subscribers can use to channel surf and manage DVR recordings.
Time Warner Cable said Monday that it has doubled the speed of its Ultimate Internet tier to 100 Mbps in Los Angeles, and that it will offer Ultimate 100 in New York City and Hawaii by the end of the year.
Google Fiber is putting its planned deployment of a fiber to the home network in Overland Park, Kan., on hold after the city delayed the contract agreement due to a liability concern in the legal agreement between the two parties that needed to be resolved, reports eWeek.